Centralized system that connects multiple students (air traffic controller trainees) and their instructors in a real-time simulated exercise. In these exercises the instructors create various air traffic situations where the trainees have to respond in real time.
The system facilitates real-time communication in from of direct pre-formatted messages as well as free-hand drawing no pre-uploaded files (PDF maps and lists). There is also an administration interface tweaked to allow instructors to prepare and reuse games ahead of time.
- Django framework
- Customized admin interface
- REST API made with django-rest-framework
- EventSource data stream data for instantaneous async communication
- Docker setup for simple and predictable setup
- Demo server using Raspberry Pi
- Packaging the application for iOS using Cordova
- Packaging the application for Windows 10 using ElectronJS
This project also included some team coordination:
- handling client input and expectations
- coordinating with a designer
- coordinating with a frontend developer
The application runs on iOS devices and on Windows 10, using a single code base.